Thursday 10 May 2012

Tick tock


Time - there never seems to be enough of it, does there?

I hear about/know people who exercise and read books and do things other than just survive, and I just don’t understand how they manage to fit it all in.  They have kids too, so how do they find all this time to themselves?

Now I’m pretty anal organised so I try to schedule my time so there’s enough minutes in the day to get everything done.

But there never is.

I try to get some time to myself each evening, and during that time I normally do yoga - but that’s only 20-30 minutes a day.  And that’s it.  That’s all of the “me” time that exists.

I know this is what happens when you have children and work full-time and try to keep a house running.  There’s a lot to do.  An awful lot.  And you tend to do most of that ‘lot to do’ in the evenings when you should be relaxing.   Time goes so fast.  Rush rush rush.

Sometimes I wish that time would just stop.  Like at night, when Kalani has gone to sleep and I go into his room to cover him up and make sure he’s cosy.  Then I stare at his innocent face - still baby-like in its chubbiness - and I wish that I could hold on to that moment forever.  Hold on to his warm little body and breathe in his just-bathed scent and wrap his hand around one of my fingers.

And just for an instant, it happens.  Time seems to stop.  And I’m amazed - still so amazed - that I created this little wonder.  This little bundle of happiness and joy and 2 year old stubborness. 

And then I see the pile of laundry on the chair in his room - waiting for me to put it away - and time starts up again.

Tick tick tick.

1 comment: